What the heck is Send to Kindle?
Send to Kindle is application designed by Amazon (the makers of the Kindle). You install it on your computer, and from there are able to right click on any MOBI file to — you guessed it — send it electronically (with no wires!) to your kindle device.
Why would I need this?
Because it’s so freaking easy!
Seriously, though, we all sometimes buy a MOBI file from a venue other than Amazon. Whether that venue is Smashwords, or directly from an author’s website, sometimes it is difficult to figure out the easiest way to get that MOBI file onto your kindle. The Send to Kindle application is a lifesaver.
How do I get it?
- Go to Amazon’s “Send to Kindle” page.
- Figure out how you want to send files (your options are from your browser, desktop, email, or Android device). I personally find the desktop option is easiest, so that’s what the rest of these instructions help with.
- Choose your computer type (Mac, Windows, etc.)
- Download the file
- Run the installation wizard when it pops up
- Hum a tune while it installs
How do I use it?
After installing Send to Kindle on your computer (see above)…
- Browse to the MOBI file on your computer
- Right click on the file
- Choose “Send to Kindle” option
- Rejoice, for thou hast sent the file and completed the quest.
A Note on MOBI Files
MOBI files are exclusive to Kindle and sometimes it can be intimidating to buy a MOBI file that isn’t through Amazon, but with these options, you no longer need to fear the possibility that you won’t be able to get it onto your Kindle.
Do you have an ePub file to transfer to a device?
I have more How-To’s in the links below: